CollegesEventsSportStudent experience

The Grey-t race

Funnily enough, I was on a run when I had the idea that has become the Greyt Race. Grey College’s charity fundraiser is a pretty simple challenge – to run 1000k as a college over the period of a week, and to raise as much money for our chosen charity, the Albert Kennedy Trust, as possible.

However, there were several things that influenced the idea. Firstly, I’d been following Captain Tom Moore’s exploits on the news, and inspired by him I thought it would be great if the Grey College Running Club, which I am President of, could have a charity fundraiser of our own.

I came up with the idea of running a certain distance in a week. To begin with, I thought this could be something the college running club could do. However, I got loads of notifications on the running app Strava telling me that Facebook friends had joined. With the lockdown, and exercise being limited, I’d definitely got a sense that lots of people have taken up running. With this in mind I asked the Grey JCR President, Leo Harris, whether we could extend this idea to the whole college.

Leo was on board with the idea, and so with the help of Terence Ho (Charities Officer), Giles Barron (Sports and Socs Officer) and Ellen Knight (Publicity Officer) we publicised the event, worked out how to keep track of the distance run, and chose our charity. For every 1 km run, £1 is donated, and people can nominate their friends to run a certain distance. A competitive element has been added with a place at High Table on a college formal for the person who runs the furthest/raises the most.

When I came up with the idea I was always keen to support a charity, and a group of people, who might be struggling throughout the COVID-19 crisis, but who we don’t hear about on the news or anything like that. The Albert Kennedy Trust, which supports LGBTQ+ young people aged 18-25 in the UK facing homelessness or hostile environments by assisting with advice and/or accommodation (emergency, temporary, or permanent), was a perfect fit for this.

The college community has really got behind the idea, and I’m sure we will absolutely smash both our distance and fundraising targets. The event starts today (Monday 27th April) and finishes on Sunday 3rd May. If you know someone in Grey who you would like to nominate, then follow the links below. If you would just like to donate then you are more than welcome to. Now I’m off for a run!

You can donate to the Greyt Race charity fundraiser here.

Find about more about the Albert Kennedy Trust and its work here.

Ned Vessey

I am a second-year History Student from Dorset. In my spare time, I enjoy running, reading, creative writing, listening to music and just spending time outdoors. I also love acting and taking part in plays is one of my favourite things about Durham.