Student experience

Blogging for Durham University

The role of a student blogger is to share what is going on at Durham University as well as giving an inside view of student life to prospective students. Blogging is a great way to share personal views and experience in higher education, entwining both social and academic aspects. It allows students to have a voice within their university community, and for those outside of the organisation to understand the establishment from the perspective of those currently studying at university.

As a student blogger, I research and produce articles about the University from my point of view as a current student. While blogging for Durham University, I have been able to write about a range of topics for current and prospective students. The role has given me the opportunity to interview staff about their current research in academia as well as talking about the things I am passionate about.

http://community.dur.ac.uk/blogs/interview-with-artist-in-residence-alan-ocain/

Blogging isn’t just writing about the academic side of the university experience – the social aspect of student life also has a big influence on writing posts. Letting students know what is going on both at University and in the local area is really important!

http://community.dur.ac.uk/blogs/taking-a-break-in-durham/

Being a student blogger has improved my confidence and communication skills – which is useful for writing essays! It has definitely tested my creativity too, both in writing and coming up with ideas for articles. Not only that, but it also looks fantastic on a CV, letting employers know that you had a responsible role while at University, as well as showing the ability to juggle your academic commitments with other commitments.

If you are interested in becoming a student blogger please email marketing.team@durham.ac.uk for more information.

Sophie Johnson